BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Trouble in Fairy Tale Land

In October two shows decided to pop their head out from a enchanted forest. One being the spawn of hit TV show (always wanted to say that) Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and the other from just as big hit TV show Lost. I was very interested, but alas, my busy schedule had me in computer lab looking at these shows through Hulu. Normally during the ads, I look at the reviews. One review just got on my nerves.


"It's so nice to see something so new and fresh!"

Ok, let me say that the whole modern fairy tale in modern world has been done. I am not saying Enchanted either. I am saying The 10th Kingdom. I loved it since I was a kid and have yet to see anything that could beat the mini-series. It's about a girl (20's really) and her dad getting sucked into a world where fairy tales exist. They are guided by a dog, who claims to be the grandson of Snow White, and it becomes apparent that since the death of Snow White there has not been many happy endings. I liked it because it had a little of everything. Romance, action, humor, horror, and drama. The cast was awesome (Ed O' Neil plays the Troll King), and the special effects weren't bad for early 2000's.

The only thing that came close to the show is Grimm's Fairy Tale and that is sadly a comic book. If you ever decide to check it out, don't judge a book by it's cover. It's likely you'll see a sexy Red Riding Hood showing her underwear. The comics are very well written and give modern meaning, you just have to look past the chest size.

Okay, now the actual review. The first one I actually saw the whole way through and was very excited for. Once Upon A Time actually had a decent plot line to boot! It's about the Evil Queen from the Snow White story placing a curse on all of Fairytale Land. Curse being that everyone must live in our world with no recollection what they once were. So Snow White is a elementary teacher, Queen is a mayor (very fitting), and Jimeny Crickett is a shrink. The only way to save them all from reality (can it be me too?) is by Snow White's 28 years old daughter (ugh, really don't want to explain her plot) coming to the town they live, Storybrook".

I like all characters, but strangely the star of the whole thing is The Evil Queen. Surprising. Snow White's daughter, Emma, is a character I strangely do not like. The whole time I'm watching these episodes, I can't help but think "Must really suck to have your mom younger looking then you". Her character is supposed to be the usual tough blonde chick who doesn't care for authority, but her dialogue is so boring and her character very flat despite her plot twists.

Grimm I was interested in really because it's from a writer from Buffy. It's pretty decent because it's like CSI with the Big Bad Wolf. But the main character just didn't click for me, and him acting like a chicken with his head cut off had me lose interest. I guess I would have to finish it.
Well there you go people. Big rant and now degree in Journalism to back it up. Enjoy.

0 comments: