BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Generation Me topic: Just like me on Facebook

Okay, Generation Me is a very nice book about the growing narcissistic and dramatic thinking of the current generation. I'd say 16 through 25. It's about how we ( yes I am also in this category) were probably taught by the school system that we could be anything we wanted if we worked hard for it. Maybe it is true. I am not saying it isn't. I could go on and on about this, but that would just prove the Generation Me book to be right.

I was thinking how since the book was first published, how the internet has managed to find ways to only feed us to thinking our opinion matters, how we are individuals, and how we need attention. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but could it be made to one? The majority of the text messages I send it to my facebook status. On facebook and twitter, it's really all about me, isn't it. Facebook and Twitter want to know whats on MY mind. It's also a way to look into others profiles and realize that they are so much cooler on line. See, these social networks not only give us bigger egos, but show an expression that we would never do in real life. I never rofl (roll over the floor laughing) in real life! Especially ten times a day like I always seem to do in facebook.

Though, don't get me wrong, facebook still has it's good things. Like the fact that it's easier to find family or old friends. There have been great stories of such things and I will never dis on facebook for that.

Still, facebook seems to become more of a need in my generation. Every day, some users send pictures of nothing really spectacular, just themselves at a flattering angle with a little spark in their eye. Everyday, people send me ridiculous requests for farmville even though in real life they would never touch a farm. And it seems that even those who say they won't get on these social networks for a month, fail after two days. Why would they? It's not like they don't have their phone or have real friends. My thought is that the imaginary audience state of mind one gets in adolescence seems to only grow bigger.

Really though, blogging is the same thing. No one in particular would read this and I really have no purpose for it. Why do I write still? To say I am an individual by doing something millions are doing?

0 comments: