BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

They do a lot of **********

It's no secret that MTV went from the channel of music, to the channel of celebrities. It seems that only in the morning, they will bother with music videos. Really, who could blame them? With the internet being everywhere, their is no reason for kids to rush to get home with there friends, pop up a bag of popcorn and watch some Britney Spears.

So, naturally MTV went for sex, because that is the product that is sure to sell. Shows like Real World and Jersey Shore are full of people getting drunk, stripping down to their underwear, and delivers young viewers to the Olympics of dry humping on national TV. At least its safe sex, I hope.

I am not a CEO of some big channel corporation, but if I were to guess, I would say that the age of viewers watching MTV would be 14-32. That's just the average, mind you.

So one would think America would be ready for the epic-ness of lewd in the family channel. But apparently no guido (incorrect?) could prepare us for SKINS.

Before diving in with the rest of the nation, I thought it would be wise to just check out the original UK episode. Okay, I only saw one. But throughout it, I kept wondering how MTV would pull it off.

Now, the first episode wasn't really bad. There was nudity though, but nothing a little inanimate object over private areas can't cure.

MTV did a good job editing too, and I think the FCC even allowed a cuss word or two. It was the second American episode of SKINS that got parents pissed.

I am not really much of a spoiler, but I will say there was two sex scenes (one homosexual) and a masturbation scene. Fun for the whole family! Of course, parents had caught on to it and now SKINS is considered too lewd.

I really don't see why scripted sex is more frowned upon than reality show sex. Is it because the writers should have known better? A parent would be happy to watch Jersey Shore with her teenage kid. A show that has people with no career outside of the entertainment industry (which is only recent) and go around talking about how much they need to smooch (fuck). The guys hunt for action, and the girls don't mind friend with benefits. In reality, these people are in there 20's and of course to a kid, it looks like fun to just screw around. Still, how is reality sex more bearable than scripted sex?

While SKINS pretty much shows the dark side of high school, it has the viewer think "Their pretty, popular, and have cool clothes, so why do they always feel like shit"? I think parents are missing the point that kids do know about sex and drugs no matter how you shield them. Hell, by the time I was thirteen, I already knew what oral sex was. Imagine what these thirteen years old know now.

I am not saying MTV did the smart thing. I really do believe SKINS belongs in another channel where parents know they could shield their kids. Channels like FX at night, or Starz would probably make more sense.

The bottom line is the show is on MTV. A channel my family watches more than Oxygen. Its not a big deal in my family, but it is in other households.

It seems that parents want to bitch about everything. It's really simple though. If you love you're child's innocent mind so much, then put a block on the TV. Better yet, just stick to local channels.

0 comments: